Veterans or surviving spouses/dependents may be eligible for emergency assistance through the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF) and/or the Houghton County Veterans Emergency Relief Fund.
Veterans who meet the eligibility requirements (listed below) may apply for the emergency relief program by going to the Houghton-Keweenaw Department of Veterans Affairs (23810 Airpark Blvd Suite 130, Calumet, MI. 49913) to obtain and fill out an application packet. Applicants must provide detailed financial information including all sources of household income and all financial obligations. Copies of recent bills such as electric, gas, mortgage, insurance, cable, phone, and others must be included in the application packet.
The application will be evaluated by the Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Committee to verify there is an unforeseen, emergent need that cannot be met using the household's existing assets and income. If this is the case, the MVTF will make approved payments directly to the vendor/agency requested. The fund cannot pay or refund claimants directly.
If the Veteran does not meet the requirements of the MVTF, or the grant from the fund does not cover all requested costs, the application will be evaluated by Houghton County for a grant.
When requesting a grant for repairs, the claimant should supply three estimates with the application. The MVTF has stated they will be flexible regarding the requirement for multiple estimates if the claimant is unable to obtain them due to the unavailability of contractors after the recent disaster.
Michigan Veterans Trust Fund Eligibility:
- Michigan resident
- Honorably discharged with 180 days of Active Duty during a Wartime Period or during a period with an award of the Armed Forces or Navy/Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal OR less than 180 days of wartime service due to service-incurred disability
- Wartime service includes the following periods:
- WWII - December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946
- Korea - June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955
- Vietnam - February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf - August 2, 1990 - present
- If a veteran has less than 180 days of active duty during these eras, duty in more than one period may be combined.
Houghton County Emergency Relief Fund Eligibility:
- Houghton County Resident
- Honorably Discharged
The Houghton-Keweenaw County Department of Veterans Affairs wishes to provide veterans with any possible available assistance. For information on these or other benefits available to veterans, please call the Houghton County Veterans Affairs Office at 906-482-0102.